The Fluke 87V is Rugged, Reliable, Accurate, Professional quality digital multimeter and perfect for Industrial use or Experience Electricians.
Technical Features Of The Fluke 87V Digital Multimeter
- Built-in thermometer
- True RMS AC voltage and current
- Select-able filter for accurate motor drive analysis on voltage and frequency
- Auto and manual ranging
- DC accuracy to 0.05%
- Measures up to 1000V AC and DC
- Measures 10A continuous, 20A for 30s
- Resistance, continuity and diode test
- Capacitance to 10,000µF
- Dual display resolution – 6000-count / 20000-count
- Large backlit display
- Analog bar graph for fast changing signals
- Auto hold
- Relative mode
- Probe leads warning
- Safety rating – CAT-III (to 1000V), CAT-IV (to 600V)
- Made in USA
- Lifetime warranty
- Size: 7.9″ (201mm) x 3.86″ (98mm) x 2″ (52mm)
- Weight: 22oz (625g)
In the Box
- 87V multimeter
- Rubber holster
- Test leads (TL75)
- Alligator Clips
- 9V battery
- Temperature probe (80BK)
- Instruction manual (online pdf)
The Fluke 87v is a compact and durably made digital multimeter. It is simple to hold in the hand and has easy to use features. But it is not very good for use by a beginner electrician. This unit is ideal for HVAC electricians as it comes with a thermocouple. It has one of the best display resolution that can enable you view even the smallest of results. Also, the American made multimeter is very accurate and highly reliable. It is not like Fluke 117 which has less features. If you are looking for a feature packed digital multimeter that is accurate, compact and very reliable, then this is the tool for carrying out electrical tests.
Fluke 87v review with Features and specification:
Fluke brand is famous for its high quality and excellent designs of multimeter. Being the number one brand that they are, the Fluke 87 v is also a well designed and durable multimeter. It is shock resistant and compactly built to withstand the hard environment of an electrician. So, you can always rely on it even when it falls or crashes on the wall. It is less likely to spoil at the go due to its sturdiness.
Auto and manual ranging
Unlike other meters on the market, the Fluke 87 v meter has both auto and manual ranging. The auto-ranging feature is ideal for starters while the manual ranging features is excellent for experts. But in case you don’t want to waste time, then you can just apply the auto-ranging feature although the manual ranging always one to narrow down to certain aspects.
True RMS technology
This is a powerful feature to have in a multimeter. If you want to have accurate readings and rely on the meter, ensure that it has TRUE RMS feature. This feature provides a dose of safety when it comes to precision and accuracy. So, if you are an expert and want a device that offers very accurate readings, then go for the fluke 87 v as it has the True RMS technology.
Automatic shut off
Some take this feature for granted but it is very important. The auto shut off feature can help one save on the cost of buying battery by shutting down. Also, when you forget to turn off your multimeter, it might become unresponsive and start experiencing issues. The automatic shut off makes sure that the multimeter turns off after 15 minutes of inactivity.
Another wonderful feature of the Fluke 87v is that it comes with a thermocouple that can be utilized to measure the temperature. This is why it is regarded as an ideal digital meter for hvac electricians. Also, if you want to measure the temperature of a liquid or object, you can disconnect the thermocouple and perform the test.
Whenever buying a quality meter, you should check for safety standards. One of the things that I like about Fluke multimeters is that they are safe to use. The audible warning feature is one of the best safety features that they come with. The Fluke 87 v has an audible warning the signals you in case you’re doing the wrong thing with the gadget. Cease immediately what you’re doing if you hear the warning. To know what it means, you can always check the manual for reference.
Auto hold function
One of the outstanding features of this multimeter tool is its auto hold function. After performing the test, the readings are displayed on the screen. If you don’t have a place to write the reading, you can press the auto hold function which will store the results until you overwrite it. This is a great feature.
Why buy Fluke 87V true rms multimeter?
- Durably constructed – the Fluke multimeter is sturdily made to withstand different hard conditions that are usually experienced by electricians. It can be used for many years without spoiling quickly as it’s also shock resistant.
- Easy to use – it has easy to use buttons and a display screen that shows all the readings that are recorded after testing. Also, handling it is very easy as it is compact in design.
- Accurate readings – it is highly reliable and can always deliver precise and accurate outcomes from various tests carried out by electricians or electronic hobbyists.
- Ideal for professional electricians – this is not the best tool for beginners but professionals electricians can heavily benefit from its accuracy. It has several features that can be easily understood by an expert and not a beginner.
- Reliable product – it doesn’t matter if it’s for measuring temperature, voltage, current, resistance, capacitance or frequency, this digital meter will still deliver precise and accurate results.
- Comes with a holster for easy storage – the holster that is included with the device plays a huge role during use or when the device is not in use. it helps the user keep the gadget handy and ready to use it while in the field.
The 80 series has been around since the 1980s and they are still relevant today for intense electrical troubleshooting. True RMS and low pass filter ability makes for accurate measurements on AC voltage and current signals that are non linear, such as on certain drive system outputs.
Although the Fluke 87 is regarded as an ‘industrial’ multimeter, it is also perfectly adept at handling lab-based electronics tasks or automotive repair work. It measures down to the micro-amps and nano-Farad capacitance ranges, with resolutions of 0.1µA and 0.01nF respectively. It can also accurately measure conductance (down to 60nS).
NOTE: those heavily into electronics might want to pick up the TL71 test leads.
This is an auto-ranging meter, with a Range button that converts it to manual ranging for even faster results. Response times are quick as standard, especially on continuity, which has a super-fast, latching beeper that can be disabled. There’s also a warning beep should you inadvertently plug into the wrong input while testing a given range.
One of the most useful features is the automatic Touch Hold, which captures stable readings without having to press anything while measuring. Min/Max-Average and Relative modes are also very useful for preserving and zeroing fluctuating signals.
Those in the electronic, automotive and DC drive worlds might be slightly perturbed that this multimeter, like most other general purpose ones, defaults to AC on the current ranges. It does, however, have separate AC and DC voltage ranges.
Although the Fluke 87 multimeter uses a 9V battery – where AAs might be preferred for price and capacity – it has quite a low current draw and will generally last for years.
SAFETY RATING, FUSES
The safety rating is up to 1000V for Category III and 600V for Category IV – the latter making it safe to use on three phase service supplies in industry. The two amperage circuits on the 87V are protected by high quality, ceramic HRC fuses. The 400mA input has a 440mA, 1000-volt rated fuse. The main 10A circuit, an 11A, 1000-volt rated fuse. Fuse model numbers can be found on the Fluke website.
Fluke 87V Pros and Cons
- Reliable and durable
- Accurate and stable
- Fast and responsive
- Retains accuracy over time
- CAT IV-rated
- Features are well implemented
- Dual resolution screen
- Two screen backlight settings
- No gimmicks
- Excellent battery life
- Separate battery compartment
- Removable holster
- Test lead storage
- Lifetime warranty
- Fairly heavy
- No separate fuse compartment
- Battery doesn’t have solid terminals
- 9V battery as opposed to AAs
Made by a re-known brand, the Fluke 87v digital multimeter is a
quality product that every professional hvac electrician should have. It
comprises of a wide range of features that can help in carrying out
tests on temperatures, current, voltage, capacitance, frequency and
resistance. This multi-meter is small but compact for easy use and
handling. It has a small but powerful display screen for easy reading of
results. All the readings that it displays are very accurate and
reliable. Though it is a bit costly than other digital hvac multimeters
on the market, it is worth every penny. If you’re a beginner in the
electrical field, then this isn’t the meter for you as you might find a
hard time using it.